We work for clean electricity production. We build more carbon-neutral electricity production in Finland with respect for society, people and the environment.
The principles of responsibility are embodied in Fennovoima's Corporate Policy and Code of Conduct. The Sustainability Program supports the implementation of these principles and the sustainable development of Fennovoima and the entire Hanhikivi 1 project.
Our focus areas
- Responsible business practices: We want to make Fennovoima a top-class nuclear power company with a high safety culture and integrity. By complying with laws, regulations and our Code of Conduct, we safeguard our ability to operate in the Finnish society.
- Economic responsibility: We build the Hanhikivi 1 nuclear power plant because our owners need reliable, stable and emission-free electricity to operate and succeed in Finland. The economic impact of the large-scale investment is extensive.
- Nuclear safety: We ensure the nuclear safety during the whole life cycle of the power plant.
- Organizational Development and employment: We ensure that we have sufficient expertise and competence at all stages of the project. We offer our employees a workplace where well- being is considered important and where conditions for success are provided.
- Supply Chain Management: We require all subcontractors to commit to nuclear safety and ethical practices.
- Occupational health and safety: No one's health or safety shall be compromised in the Hanhikivi 1 project.
- Environmental management: The environmental footprint of the nuclear energy life cycle is small. We ensure that the local impact of the construction is minimized as well.
- Effective management of the Hanhikivi 1 project: A successful project requires functional processes, systematic practices and a functioning management system that support the implementation of the Hanhikivi 1 project also in accordance with the principles of sustainable development.
- Stakeholder co-operation: Trust and transparency form the basis for our stakeholder cooperation; hence we are strongly present also in Pyhäjoki.
Identifying material topics
We conducted a personnel survey, interviews and a senior management workshop, assisted by an external consultant in 2014 to identify areas that are significant to responsible operations in Fennovoima. The topics highlighted in the review form the basis for our Sustainability Program that supports our corporate strategy and policy.
In 2017, we re-grouped the topics represented in the materiality matrix to clarify the presentation. Climate change has also been included as a material topic in the matrix.
Responsibility management and follow-up
Our Responsibility Program is part of the Fennovoima management system that covers all our operations. The management system helps us in ensuring that our operations are in compliance with nuclear safety and legal requirements and good governance, and that the environment and occupational safety are taken into account in Fennovoima’s operations. The management system meets the quality, environmental and occupational safety requirements of the ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 standards.
The primary responsibility of the practical implementation, development and follow-up of the Responsibility Program lies with departments and units that are responsible for each topic. The departments and units report monthly to the CEO. The objectives of the program are reviewed and updated annually when updating the annual work plans. The implementation of the Responsibility Program and reporting is coordinated by a designated person.